Source: Hej Doll | Simple modern living by Jessica Doll.
Published and curated from Hej Doll | Simple modern living by Jessica Doll. Read More
This post contains affiliate links.
Starting thew year off fresh always feels so nice. This year I decided to jump into a closet update early. Having a Minimal Closet is never a one-and-done task, it’s a gentle evolution over time that involves making conscious decisions over time about your wardrobe. Today I’m sharing with you an overview of my minimal closet in 2023. As time goes on I know that it will continue to evolve just as it has since I first started my minimal closet project in 2014.
My 2023 Minimal Closet
A major change in my wardrobe this year is that I am intentionally leaving some open space. We all have some of those items in our closet that have been just floating along. They’re not bad, but they’re not great either. They serve a purpose and we wear them out of necessity. This is fine and all, but I genuinely want every piece in my wardrobe to be something that I love with all my heart. My personal style has remained very stable for the last 5 or more years and I feel like these items can be replaced with something that makes my heart sing. I am still very inclined to love naturally composed fabrics and always gravitate toward those.
I want to add something more exciting here. Something lacy and floral-y. I’ll wait until the right piece shows up.
- Everlane Washable Silk Cropped Cami in Black, size 0.
- Aritzia Sculpt Knit Racer Tank in Black, size Extra Small.
- Vintage Ribbed Relaxed Fit Tee in Black, size Large in Mens. Similar Ribbed T-Shirt by H&M.
- Jasmine Chong Ronne Sheer Top in Black, size 2.
- Everlane Slim Cotton Longsleeve Crew in Washed Black / Bone Stripe, size Medium. Similar Pima Micro-ribbed Long-sleeve Crew by Everlane.
- Sézane Max Shirt in Casual White, size 4.
- Jasmine Chong Land & Sea Winged Shirt in Black, size 4.
- Shaina Mote Aro Shirt in Onyx, size Extra Small. Similar Poplin Balloon Sleeve Shirt by Cuyana.
Very happy with my current selection. I do have to admit that I don’t wear the Henrik Vibskov sweater as much as I should. I love it in theory but when I put it on it feels more loud than I want it to. I will either have to wear it more often anyway, or let go of it’s sentimental origins.
- Everlane Cashmere Polo in Beige, size Extra Small. Similar Mongolian Cashmere Sweater at Quince.
- Everlane Cashmere Square Turtleneck in Black, size Small.
- Everlane Felted Merino Half-Zip Sweater in Black, size Small.
- Quince Mongolian Cashmere Boyfriend Cardigan in Black, size Small.
- Everlane Waffle Knit Tunic in Charcoal, size Small. Similar Oversized Cotton Pullover by Jenni Kayne.
- Henrik Vibskov Sweatshirt in Beige, size Small. I haven’t seen anything similar but I bet you could make your own out of these patches and this sweatshirt.
- Everlane Unisex French Terry Crew in Heathered Gray, size Extra Small.
I’m at peace with my dress collection for now, but if a romantic tiered or embroidered flowy black cotton dress comes along that makes my heart sing I will not hesitate to pick it up.
- Quince 100% Washable Silk Slip Dress in Black, size Extra Small.
- Shaina Mote Hyeres Dress in Onyx, size Extra Small. Similar Olivia Organic Cotton Maxi Dress by Ética.
- Reformation Monique Linen Dress in Black, size Extra Small. Similar V-Neck Linen Maxi Dress by DKNY.
- Anine Bing Melanie Dress in Black, size Extra Small.
- Arch The Two-Way Twisted Shirt Dress in Black, size 36.
- H&M Oversized Shirt Dress in Silver, size Extra Small.
I would consider adding a pair of high waisted A-line shorts in a natural linen fabric, but have not come across the perfect ones yet.
- Everlane Way-High Jean Short in Bone, size 24.
- Everlane Easy Short in Pewter Green, size 0.
- Reformation Amy Button Fly High Rise Jean Shorts in Shasta, size 25.
- Everlane Utility Barrel Pant in Bone, size 0.
- Everlane Way-High Drape Pant in Khaki/Black Gingham, size 0 with a 30″ inseam.
- Everlane Rigid Way-High Jean, in Vintage Light Wash, size 25 with a 29.5″ inseam.
- Everlane 90’s Cheeky Jean in Vintage Mid Blue, size 24 with a 28.5″ inseam. Size down because they break in.
- Everlane Rigid Way-High Jean Cropped in Worn-In Blue, size 25 with a 27.5″ inseam.
- Everlane Way-High Drape Pant in Black, size 0 with a 30″ inseam.
- Aritzia Melania Pant Vegan Leather in Black, size 2 regular.
I need to pare down a couple of these because I never wear them but I am letting time help me with this.
- Everlane Oversized Blazer in Black, size 2.
- VS Black Leather Jacket, similar Jayne Classic Leather Jacket by VEDA.
- Steven Alan Military Droptail Parka in Green, size Small. Similar Renew Anorak by Everlane.
- Rains Holographic Waterproof Rain Coat in Silver, size Small/Medium. Similar Water Resistent Rain Jacket by Rachel Roy.
- Zara Faux Leather Trench Coat in Black, size Extra Small.
- Cuyana Soft Wrap Coat in Black, size Extra Small. Similar Wool Draped Collar Coat by Cuyana.
- Everlane Re:Down Sleeping Bag Puffer in Black, size Small. Similar Therma-fit City Series Parka by Nike.
I’m a shoe girl, 100%. Not looking to add or subtract from these anytime soon.
- TKEES Gemma Sandals in Cocobutter, size 8.
- TKEES Mia Napa in Sable, size 9.
- TKEES Dem Sandals in Black, size 8.5.
- Alohas Cannes Heels in Black, size 8.5.
- J. Crew Lanie Black Stacked Wood Heel Sandals in Black, size 8.5. Similar Joy Heeled Sandals by Naturalizer.
- Dear Frances Balla Mesh Ballet Slippers in Black, size 39.
- Zara Block Heel Slingbacks in Tortoise, size 8.5.
- Everlane Modern Loafer in Black, size 8.5
- On Running Roger Sneakers in White, size 8.5.
- Nike Waffle Crater Racer in Black, size 8.5. Similar Marathon Sneaker by Comme des Garçones x Spalwart.
- Everlane Boss Boot in Pebbled Black, size 8.5. Similar The Downtown Boot by Margaux.
- High Ankle Glove Boot Reknit in Black, size 8.5.
- Dear Frances Tony Boot in Contrast Black, size 39.
- Ilse Jacobsen Rub Rain Boot in Black, size 39.
The following sections I do not count toward my minimal closet total, but I do still try to be mindful of what is in them. I’ve shared a few of my favorites below.
Swimwear & Coverups
All together that brings my closet to 52 items, excluding workout, swim, lounge, intimates, and accessories. As always, there are probably some items I could let go of, like the aforementioned outerwear I’m not really wearing right now, eek. Right now though, I’m happy with all of it and that will always matter more than any number.
What are your favorite items in your closet right now? What do you wish you could change?